Time-line of Ancient Britain
* BP = Before Present
Hunter-Gatherers and Shamanism in Britain
- c 45,000 BP to 10,000 BP - Upper Paleolithic.
- c 29,000 BP - Paviland Cave, Gower peninsular, South Wales, oldest known ritual burial with artefacts in Britain and Western Europe.
- c 13,700 BP - Reindeer image engraved on cave wall, Gower peninsular, South Wales.
- c 12,000 BP to 13,000 BP - Creswell Crags, Derbyshire, horse’s head engraved on bone and numerous animal bird/figure images engraved on cave walls.
- c 10,200 BP to 8,000 BP - The Land of Britain separates from Europe.
- c 10,000 BP to 5,000 BP - Mesolithic.
- c 10,000 BP - Large wooden posts erected at Stonehenge site.
- c 9,600 BP - Howick, Northumberland, Mesolithic house in use for 100 years.
- c 9,500 BP - Star Carr, near Scarborough, Yorkshire, is occupied, where ritual red deer stag head-dresses were found.
Transition stage between Hunter-Gathering and Farming lifestyles
- c 6,500 BP - Farming started in Britain.
- c 6,400 BP to 5,300 BP - Long barrows and causewayed enclosures built.
- c 6,000 BP to 5,500 BP - Mesolithic to Neolithic transition.
- c 5,500 BP - Farming communities established in Britain.
Farming established in Britain and Hunter-Gatherer culture receding
- c 5,300 BP to 4,900 BP - Chambered tombs and stone circles appear.
- c 5,200 BP - Newgrange built in Ireland.
- c 5,200 BP - Barnhouse settlement, Orkney first occupied.
- c 5,100 BP - Skara Brae settlement, Orkney first occupied.
- c 5,100 BP - First phase of Stonehenge built, consisting of ditch and bank with no stones.
- c 5,100 BP - Stones of Stenness, megalithic circle, Orkney, built.
- c 5,000 BP - Maes Howe chambered cairn, Orkney, built.
- c 4,860 BP - Avebury stone circle building starts.
- c 4,750 BP - Silbury Hill, Avebury, Wiltshire, is built.
- c 4,600 BP - Bluestones placed at Stonehenge.
- C 4,600 BP to 4,100 BP - Sarsen stones placed at Stonehenge.
- c 4,200 BP to 2,750 BP - Bronze Age.
- c 4,000 BP - Stonehenge re-built with current stone arrangement.
- c 2,750 BP to 1,969 BP - Iron Age.
- c 2,500 BP - Celts in Britain.
- 43 AD - Roman occupation of Britain begins.
- 410 AD - Last Romans leave Britain.
- c 500 AD - Irish peoples known as Scoti settling in North of Britain, origins of Scotland and the Scottish peoples.
- c 500 AD to 600 AD - Anglo-Saxons from modern-day German and Holland regions settle in east of Britain, origins of England and the English peoples.